Now that I'm firmly in my mid-twenties, I start to get a little bit of anxiety in the weeks before my birthday. Have I done enough with my life so far? Have I accomplished enough? Am I going to become a total failure and live in the gutter if I don't dedicate every moment of every day to my goals?
I see a lot of blog posts written around people's birthdays with titles like "30 before 30" where people outline the goals they want to accomplish before a certain milestone birthday. Clearly, I'm a big fan of having goals, writing them down, and striving to accomplish them. I've even written some goal oriented posts here on this blog more than once.
But this year, on my 26th birthday, I want to take a moment to reflect on what I've already accomplished. Too often we are so busy looking toward the future, that we forget to appreciate what we've already done. And if there's any time to feel a little self-indulgent and proud of yourself, it's on your birthday.
Some of these accomplishments are big and some are very small (like learning to drive a car). But I think it's important to take a moment once in a while (or once a year) to remember that even the little things can require time, patience, and effort.
(I was really bad at driving at first.)
So here we go! I'm 26 years old and instead of worrying about what I haven't done, I'm focusing on all the beautiful things my life has brought me so far! (And as a bonus, it's helped me feel much better about getting older)
1. Graduated my Bachelor of Arts Magna Cum Laude
2. Had some of my articles published
3. Self-produced a play
4. Wrote a play
5. Wrote another play.
6. Travelled to Europe
7. Travelled to Africa
8. Travelled alone
9. Finished the first year of my Master's degree
10. Moved into a grown-up apartment
11. Started a retirement savings plan
12. Started a blog
13. Quadrupled my blog traffic in the last two months!
13. Started collaborating with brands and monetizing my online presence
14. Started a YouTube channel
15. Started writing my first book
16. Wrote the first 40 000 words of my book
17. Learned to ride a horse
18. Learned to drive a car
19. Learned to cook
20. Learned to code basic HTML & CSS
21. Learned to use photoshop and illustrator to do my own graphic design
22. Used my arts degree professionally (and made money!)
23. Got a promotion at work
24. Stayed up all night and watched the sun rise
25. Conquered some of my fears
26. Learned to love my body and take good care of it!
What's something you've accomplished that you're proud of? I'd love to hear in the comments!